Residential properties are required to register annually with HPD by September 1st.
What properties are required to register with HPD?
- Buildings with 3+ Residential Units, condos, and co-ops included
- Buildings with 1 or 2 Residential Units and neither the owner nor a family member occupies one of the units
- Hotels - considered “transient multifamily dwellings”
How do I register a property?
The easiest way to register is by using HPD's Property Registration Online System (PROS). With this tool, owners and managers can:
- Update registration forms annually or as changes occur. (You still need to print, sign and mail).
- Create new property registrations.
- Review and print a building's registration history and any submitted forms.
- Receive notifications electronically when forms are accepted or rejected.
- Link to the Department of Finance (DOF) for payment of the property registration fee.
- The due date to register is September 1st.
There is an annual $13 Registration Fee; re-registration for information changes does not have associated fees.
Complete the online form and print it, or complete the form that is mailed to you. Once the form is completed, mail the form, signed and dated by the agent and the property owner listed on the registration form, to:
Department of Housing Preservation and Development
Church Street Station
PO Box 3888
New York, NY 10008-3888
Pay the registration fee. A $13 registration fee will be billed directly by the Department of Finance as part of your property tax collection Statement of Account, annually due on July 1st.
If you wish to mail a payment, you must indicate clearly that the payment is for the Housing- Property Registration charge and include the Borough, Block, and Lot of the property on your check (this information is on your registration form). Also indicate your Account number, which is the property registration number for your property. Mail payment to:
Department of Finance
P.O. Box 680
Newark, NJ 07101-0680
After Your Property Is Registered
After HPD receives your form and payment, HPD will notify you by mail or email. All notifications will be sent to the address of the managing agent identified on the form or to the owner if the owner is the manager. If you do not receive a receipt or a correction form within 2-4 weeks of submitting your form, you can check using HPDONLINE or through your PROS account to verify whether you validly registered. Contact the Registration Assistance Unit if you have questions or concerns regarding corrections or questions.
Registration Assistance Unit
100 Gold Street, 6th floor, Section: E, New York, NY 10038
What if a property isn't registered with HPD?
Failure to register each year will result in infractions, fines, and the inability to correct open HPD violations.
- HPD recently issued Class I violations for failure to register
- To remove the violation, you must register with the HPD
- Once the registration is valid, HPD will administratively remove the violation, and no additional action is needed
- Buildings without valid property registration are subject to:
- Civil penalties of $250-$500
- Orders issuance
- Ineligibility to certify violations, request a Code Violation Dismissal, or initiate a court action to recover possession of the premises for nonpayment of rent
If you receive an Order to register, you must register to remove it. Once your registration is valid, HPD will administratively remove the violation; you do not need to take any additional action. Follow the instructions on this page or on the back of the Order to obtain a registration form or contact HPD with questions.