Beginning January 1, 2022, owners who fail to file an acceptable report certifying sprinklers were installed in their building, as required by Local Law 26 of 2004, will be subject to the civil penalties. The filing must be submitted to the Department of Buildings at NYCDOBLL26@buildings.nyc.gov.
Sprinklers in Office buildings 100 feet or more in height
- Full sprinklering within 15 years
- Possibility for hardship time extension; possibility for partial waivers for interior Landmark designation or structural impracticability
- Compliance deadline -July 1, 2019 deadline for completion of installation and certification of compliance
- Filing requirements:
- Owner’s affidavit: July 1, 2005, • 7-Year report: July 1, 2011
- 14-Year Report: July 1, 2018
- Final Report: July 1, 2019 Conversion to Office Building >100 feet: Requires full sprinklering at time of conversion
Starting in 2022, owners who fail to file an “acceptable report” certifying that sprinklers were installed in their buildings (per Local Law 26 of 2004) will be subject to civil penalties. Here’s what that looks like:
- To avoid penalties, ensure filings have been submitted to the DOB at this email: NYCDOBLL26@buildings.nyc.gov.
- Penalties for failure to file will be $5,000 per year starting 1/1/22 and ending on the filing date of an acceptable report
- In addition, starting in February, $1,000 per month will be assessed in late fees, ending on the filing date of an acceptable report
If you receive a violation:
- Per the DOB, “The Department will dismiss any DOB violation for failure to file the sprinkler report when an acceptable report has been submitted and stamped Approved by DOB and proof of payment of the civil penalty is received.”
Check out the Service Notice for details on paying civil penalties, challenging a penalty, or requesting a full waiver (or see attached).
Article is closed for comments.